FC Westlake CENTRAL Program
Please use the link below if you are interested in registering for the FC Westlake Junior Academy Central Program.
All team practices will be in the Westlake area
FC Westlake South Program
Please use the link below if you are interested in registering for the FC Westlake Junior Academy South Program.
All team practices will be in the Covington area in South Austin.
FC Westlake Junior academy Mission Statement
Our aim is to give players the foundation on which they will build all of their soccer success and experiences. Basic skill mastery and an understanding of simple tactical ideas will be our bricks, and a love for the sport will be the mortar that holds it all together. The program is meant to be developmental and fun-based, but we will not shy away from the challenge of teaching them how to play.
Game Play In Practice
Playing games is essential.
At the Academy level, children learn and develop to their fullest potential through game-like experience in an enjoyable environment that supports individual growth.
Playing is not only essential to having fun, developing social skills, fostering creativity, improving dexterity, and promoting sportsmanship; playing games is where players hone their instincts for the sport. How does a great player know just the right moment to pause, the exact second to change direction, and anticipate opportunities before they appear? They’ve practiced it 1,000 times without even knowing they were practicing…they thought they were just having fun playing a game.
2015 & 2014’S – BUILD A CULTURE OF ACTION
The very first thing our players have to learn is how to be effective, how to fend for themselves, and to be confident enough to take part in the game. Mistakes will be forgiven and poor decisions will be excused, but we want our players to be brazen, bold, and audacious enough to get out there and try things. Be assertive and play, let the chips fall where they may. Meanwhile, the most fundamental skill in soccer is individual mastery of the ball and the creativity that comes with it. Our sessions are built around facilitating the development of the skills necessary to move and control the ball well. As the individual skills and the creativity to make them come alive in the game are developed to a level of competence, the finer points, like passing and team organization, can be taught. The most common phrases used with our U7 & U8’s are, “Go! Go! Go!” “Dribble!” & “Control the ball.”
2013’S – PASSING & “SPACE THE FINAL FRONTIER”
Academy soccer at U9 is where we see the most significant jump in our players’ abilities and general understanding of the game. With this in mind, we want to try to encourage comfort with the ball and the confidence to use this skill creatively. Our teams at this age should be full of "little dribblers,” so we can start to slowly introduce and organize the art of finding space, moving without the ball, and combining with your teammates. The most common phrase used with our U9’s is, “Find Space!” & “Go and support!”
2012’S – HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, SMARTER
We want our U10’s to be able to recognize and understand how the skills learned in U7, U8, & U9 are connected to solving problems during play. The goal is to develop players who are clever, and able to quickly and effectively make “soccer decisions.” The most common phrases used with our U10’s are, “Play when you don’t have the ball” and “Was that a good decision?”
Junior academy FAQ's
Important dates - Fall 2022
- Monday, August 15th - First Day of Practice for 2013 Birth Year Players
- Tuesday, August 16th - First Day of Practice for 2016 & 2015 Birth Year Players
- Wednesday, August 17th - First Day of Practice for 2014 Birth Year Players
- Thursday, August 18th - OFF - Staff Development Day
- Friday, August 19th - OFF - Staff Development Day
- Saturday/Sunday, August 20/21 - Intra-Club Scrimmages
- Monday-Friday, August 22-26 - Regular Practice Schedule
- Saturday/Sunday, August 27/28th - Intra-Club Scrimmages
- Monday-Thursday, August 29-September 1st - Regular Practice Schedule
- Friday/Saturday/Sunday, September 2-5th - OFF - Labor Day
- Tuesday-Friday, September 6-9th - Regular Practice Schedule
- Saturday/Sunday, September 10-11th - Intra-Club Scrimmages
- Monday, September 12th - FINAL Team Assignments Announced
- Friday, October 7th - OFF - Staff Development Day
- Monday, October 31st - OFF - Halloween
- Saturday/Sunday, November 12/13th - Final Weekend of the Season
FC Westlake South Program Practice Schedule
- Practices will be on a Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday schedule depending on team assignment.
- All practices will be at Covington Middle School
FC WESTLAKE CENTRAL PROGRAM Practice Schedule
- 2016/2015 Girls - Tuesday & Thursdays, 5-6pm, at Cedar Creek Elementary School
- 2016/2015 Boys - Tuesday & Thursdays, 6-7pm, at Cedar Creek Elementary School
- 2014 Girls - Wednesday & Fridays, 5-6pm, at Cedar Creek Elementary School
- 2014 Boys - Wednesday & Fridays, 615-715pm, at Cedar Creek Elementary School
- 2013 Girls - Mondays, 5-6pm at Cedar Creek Elementary School & Fridays, 530-630pm at Hill Country Middle School
- 2013 Boys - Mondays, 615-715pm at Cedar Creek Elementary School & Fridays, 630-730pm at Hill Country Middle School